Saturday, October 27, 2012

Roots of Empathy

Kason and I are taking part in a program at Madeleine's school called ROOTS OF EMPATHY
Check out the website:http://www.rootsofempathy.org/en/

It's a program that introduces young school children to infants and their development as well as how to treat them respectfully.

Listening to the grade 1 students define empathy was really quite amazing- I don't think I learned about empathy until I was in University!

Of course- Kason pooped out of his outfit as we were walking in- so we were late. I'm not sure how the teacher described that to the kids!

When we got there they sang a lovely welcome song and I walked Kason around the room. The kids have been
Taught the places they can touch Kason on his clothing and if they are not feeling well to not touch him at all.

They asked me many questions about kason's development and what he can do. When they asked if Kason could sit up I said 'yes, for a few seconds it when I demonstrated he sat up for over 2 minutes! The kids liked that. Of course he smiled at the kids.

They weighed and measured him and they had made predictions on how he had grown from the pictures I shared.

At the end, they sang a goodbye song and as I walked around, more kids were comfortable touching him and they loved to tickle his toes!

We will be going back to the school monthly.

What a fantastic program. The instructor was saying it is great god schools that have low income households, lots of single parent families because it teaches the kids How to be respectful.

They said it is especially great if a dad comes because many kids are living away or without a dad in this school.

We are so grateful to be a part of this program! The kids are going to watch Kason grow into a little boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment