Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The top 4 things you need as a mom in 2012:

I will admit- I read many books and websites about pregnancy and labor but when Kason came- I realized I hadn't read any books about how to raise a child. And who has time when you have a newborn. Now I have the time with kason napping and way more interested in his toys then crying or fussing ( thank god) so I thought I would share what I learned about how to survive as a mom- while I am trying to survive raising kason!!

1) your smartphone
Sure- we have seen people texting while driving, walking with their heads buried in their phones and worse. I'm not suggesting new moms become delinquent while on their phones but from the day kason was born- my IPhone became more important to me than ever before.
Firstly- it's nice to have a camera on hand at all times, easy to turn on and capture that cute moment that I might have never while trying to dig my camera out of the diaper bag
Secondly-while breastfeeding is a beautiful thing and an excellent opportunity to bond with your child, when you are doing it 10-12 times a day in the beginning, once or twice it is bound to get a tad boring.  And now that Kason is older and very easily distracted, it is difficult for him to eat with the TV on, and don't even think about having a conversation with me.  He wants to be a part of it.  So, the phone becomes my friend, especially in the wee hours of the night when I don't even turn the lights on!

2) your PVR
Back to the first month when we were up every 2 hours to eat.  I will tell you, there is NOTHING on TV in the middle of the night worth watching.  Sure, I watched that steam mop informercial, but I would only do that once. (kelly talked me out of buying it too!$   So I would PVR any show I thought was interesting during the day, and watch it in the middle of the night while I was up with Kason.  Back then he was up for 45 minutes eating then falling asleep (now it's about 16 minutes).  my PVR is a lifesaver still today. It's pretty difficult to watch a show I have been waiting for when your kid needs something.  Kelly can pause the sunday night football game and put Kason to bed without missing a single play.  Not that TV is more important than our child, on the contrary - we can continue living our regular lives and enjoy Kason to the fullest!

3) an eyemask
If you are like Kelly- a serial napper- then this does not apply to you.  If you are like me, napping does not come so naturally.  I learned very early that this was a detriment to my health.  My eyemask made it easy to nap during the day or just tone out the world for a little while when Kason naps.  Now when Kason goes for his 9am nap I can get some real shut eye!

4) and lastly, you need your local Starbucks! Whether its for that little 'pick me up' you need to get through the day, or an opportunity to get out and talk to someone not in your singsongy, cooing voice.
Starbucks are actually quite baby friendly- although I have yet to find one with a handicap door, which is a 'mom with a strollers' best friend.
* this one is much to Kelly's chagrin.

So there u have it. That's all I learned
In the last 5 months! Jk! I also learned that this guy is super cute and Kelly and I don't know how we survived without him in our lives!
Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment