Friday, July 12, 2013

Over the top mom?

The thing I am learning about being a mom of an allergic kid is that I have to be incredibly obsessive about everything that goes into Kason's mouth.  
Remember when you had a newborn and you made everyone wash their hands before they held your babe and you could barely hold a conversation while you were with them?  As they grow older, moms become more comfortable and it's easier to zone out and assume your kid is ok or getting into harmless trouble.  I must say- I have always been jealous of those moms who could let their kid walk out of the room and not need to follow them!  
With an allergic kid- it's tough to do that.  In your own house it's a safe assumption that the allergens are not present (of course our house is peanut free) but most people's are not and I would never expect them to be (how I miss ice cream with pb and jam in it!)
So instead of letting my toddler play carefree at a friends house-  I have to make sure that very little speck of food he finds and picks up is not nuts or dairy!  And I have to be anal and annoying when asking friends if their kids had pb today if they are playing with the same toys. 
Of course- if any of my friends asked this of me I would not only understand but go out of my way to ensure that these items are not present- which most of my amazing friends do!  But it still makes me wish I could have those carefree moments when visiting a friend.
Then I had an epiphany- would I be that carefree if Kason was allergy free?  This little dude who I have been with since his creation- who I nurtured, fed, helped sleep- would I really just let him go and see if he finds a tub filled with water or the toolbox?  Probably not.
These are the unique characteristics that make you parents- caring for your child!  Sure- having an allergic kid comes with challenges and some requirements when visiting friends- but I wouldn't change it for the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment